Statement of the FUEN-President on the upcoming referendum in Alsace28.03.2013
FUEN is an organisation in Europe, working for the interests of the autochthonous, national minorities and the regional and minority languages. Since we were founded in the Palais de Chaillot in Paris in 1949, we have been promoting diversity and strengthening of the regions.
With great interest and sympathy FUEN is following what is going on in Alsace – especially the desire for stronger regional self-government and the ambition to determine one’s own future, within the perspective of European subsidiarity.
For years, the delegates of FUEN have called upon France to not only adopt the international treaties, such as the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities and the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, but also to understand that the French diversity of languages and identities is an advantage, not a risk. We urge France to respect the wish for more self-government of the regions and to facilitate this.
On 7 April there will be a referendum in Alsace – allowing for the transfer of more competences to the region. We support all endeavours in that direction and wish the Alsatians and especially the people who are active in the “Unsere Land”-party all the best in the upcoming referendum.
--- Hans Heinrich Hansen, President of FUEN.
- Loránt Vincze at CoE conference: the hopes tied to the Framework Convention and the Language Charter have not yet been met
- Autonomous regions in the North as a model
- What languages are worth – and how best to learn your neighbour's language
- Forum of European Minority Regions in Helsinki starts with an appeal: "Give language minorities a new status"
- FUEN President at the EU Regional Forum: the EU should cooperate with the CoE in developing a framework for minority protection
- The Forum of the European Minority Regions starts on Thursday in Helsinki – Watch it live!
- Small communities also have our support: Molise Croats hosted the 24th AGSM Seminar
- Sakın Kaçırmayın: Helsinki’de Avrupa Azınlık Bölgeleri Forumu
- Türk azınlıkları ve toplulukları FUEN TAG 3. Tematik Semineri’nde buluştu
- Avrupa'daki Slav Azınlıkların 24. AGSM Semineri Başlıyor