Alsace and Transylvania have a lot in common15.03.2013
There is a lot that Alsace and Transylvania have in common. That became clear in a meeting in the European Parliament lately between MEP Iulius Winkler from the Hungarians in Romania (Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania) and the representatives of the Alsatians, Andrée Munchenbach (president of the regional party “Unser Land”) and Robert Joachim (vice-chairman of Elsass-Lothringischer Volksbund).
The reason for the exchange of views, in which also FUEN-director Jan Diedrichsen participated, was the “European citizens’ initiative – one million signatures for diversity in Europe”.
Both Romania and France are states with a strong centralised character. In Romania – said Winkler – the planned territorial reform of the regional authorities threatens the existence of the two Hungarian majority counties. The Alsatians have been fighting for years for more autonomy and for self-government according to their own interests, including the wish to maintain their own language, culture and identity.
The “European citizens’ initiative – one million signatures for diversity in Europe”, started by FUEN, the Hungarians in Romania and the South Tyroleans, was discussed, including the possibilities for cooperation.
“I think it is a very exciting project and we will discuss it internally. We have to consider if we can also bring other regionalists from France on our table and can jointly support the initiative in France”, said Andrée Munchenbach after the meeting.
The citizens’ initiative already works closely together with its cooperation partners in Brittany.
Press release in German
- EUROPEADA to take place in the summer of 2021
- The match schedule for EUROPEADA 2020 is ready!
- The new FUEN Berlin office has opened
- Job Opening: YEN is looking for a Project Assistant
- FUEN presented the MSPI legislative proposals to members of the German Bundestag
- FUEN received the award of the Macedonian Association "Ilinden"-Tirana
- Fruitful discussions at the presentation of the Minority SafePack Initiative to the European Commission
- Build Yourself!: Register now for the Organisational and communication management training!
- New Year at FUEN
- The legislative proposals of the Minority SafePack Initiative will be presented to the European Commission on the 5th of February