FUEN condemns smearing of bilingual town signs in Carinthia/Koroška26.01.2021
The Federal Union of European Nationalities condemns the smearing on bilingual topographical signs in several localities in Carinthia/Koroška, among them the municipalities of Bleiburg/Pliberk and Eberndorf/Dobrla Vas.
As the umbrella organisation of the autochthonous national minorities and language communities in Europe, we look with great concern to Carinthia, where in recent weeks the smearing of Slovene designations on bilingual place-name signs in Carinthia have increased.
FUEN President Loránt Vincze expresses his solidarity with the Carinthian Slovenes: "I am stunned by these smeared signs and amazed that some people in the heart of Europe show such hostility towards the Carinthian Slovene minority, a recognised minority that has been living on the territory of Carinthia for centuries. In a Europe of diversity, such actions have no place and are to be despised".
FUEN Vice-President Angelika Mlinar, herself a Carinthian Slovene, is also dismayed by the recent events in Carinthia: "An attack on the Slovene language is an attack on the Slovene minority in Carinthia. I hope that the rule of law in Austria will do its job, find the culprits and also punish them."
FUEN appeals to the Austrian authorities to catch the perpetrators as soon as possible and calls on the political leaders in Austria to do even more educational work about the Austrian ethnic groups – especially in schools – as many residents of Carinthia do not seem to be sufficiently aware of both the history and the constitutional protection of the Slovene minority in Austria, as a number of hateful and fact-free posts on social media illustrate.
More information on the smearing and the statement of our member organisations the Council of Carinthian Slovenes / Narodni svet koroških Slovencev (NSKS) and Community of Carinthian Slovenes / Skupnost koroških Slovencev in Slovenk (SKS) can be found here:
COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE
- NGO and Youth Management were the hot topics of Build Yourself’s German-language trainings
- Our rights depend on it: FUEN webinar on the importance of censuses for minority communities
- EUROPEADA Talk: the minority football teams are already looking forward to 2022
- FUEN webinar on national minorities in European censuses
- Strong support for MSPI at committee meeting of the DG Parliament in Ostbelgien
- Register now for the German-language Build Yourself! training on NGO Management!
- FUEN BUNDESTALKS: CANDIDATES FOR THE BUNDESTAG DISCUSS MINORITY ISSUES AT THE INITIATIVE OF FUEN
- Build Yourself! returns this week with a German-language training on motivating the youth
- A follow-up on language revitalization was the topic of the online meeting of the Non-Kin-State Working Group
- FUEN BundesTalks Part 1 - FUEN election debate with candidates for the Bundestag from Schleswig-Holstein