#solidarity #equality #participation #diversity #minorityrights #traditions
We live in Europe for centuries. We are autochthonous and traditional people, many of us saw borders shifted and live today in minority. It is not a choice, but it is the reality for us. We have chosen to continue to live in our homeland.
We are one hundred million Europeans, fifty million in the EU, members of autochthonous national minorities, nationalities, ethnic communities, regional and linguistic groups. Our ancestors created a unique cultural wealth, they spoke their own languages, and followed their own traditions and customs. We aim to preserve and develop our identity, our cultures, and our languages.
We speak our mother tongue, and we want to be able to use it in everyday life and in the administration. We wish that our children were able to learn in their mother tongue in schools and to pass it to the next generations.
Different norms and different standards are applied by the states in the field of minority protection: some don’t recognize and disregard the aim of minorities, while others actively promote and protect them. We believe that the situation of European minorities can not be considered solely the internal affair of the states. Our objective is to strengthen the Council of Europe’s legal instruments and sanction mechanism, while in the EU our goal is to create a legal framework on the protection of national minorities and language groups.
We have a dream about a European society where all languages and communities are equal, respected and cherished.
COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE
- Autonomous regions in the North as a model
- What languages are worth – and how best to learn your neighbour's language
- Forum of European Minority Regions in Helsinki starts with an appeal: "Give language minorities a new status"
- FUEN President at the EU Regional Forum: the EU should cooperate with the CoE in develpoing a framework for minority protection
- The Forum of the European Minority Regions starts on Thursday in Helsinki – Watch it live!
- Small communities also have our support: Molise Croats hosted the 24th AGSM Seminar
- Don't miss: Forum of the European Minority Regions in Helsinki!
- Turkic minorities and communities gathered at the 3rd Thematic Seminar of FUEN TAG
- The 24th AGSM Seminar of Slavic Minorities in Europe starts today
- How do children learn different languages at the earliest possible age?