EUstrat conference: the MSPI opened a new chapter in European integration14.11.2020
Minority SafePack is of historic importance for the advocacy of autochthonous national minorities in Europe, as the European Commission refused so far to support minority rights – said FUEN President, MEP Loránt Vincze on Friday, 13 November in Budapest, at the conference entitled “Minority SafePack as a tool for advocating for national minorities”. A major shortcoming of the EU is that, although respect for the rights of persons belonging to minorities is enshrined in Article II of the Treaty on European Union, due to the lack of legal instruments, this has no effect on the situation of national minorities in practice, he said.
Former European Commissioner and head of EUstrat institute Tibor Navracsics pointed out that the debate on the Minority SafePack is of paramount importance, this is why they chose this topic for their first public event. "This is our way to contribute to the success of the MSPI, which has already opened a new chapter in European integration", he said.
Balázs Vizi, associate professor at the National University of Public Administration, outlined the history of EU minority protection efforts, pointing out that Minority SafePack tries to make the best possible use of existing legal bases for the benefit of minorities.
MEP Kinga Gál, co-chair of the European Parliament's Minority Intergroup, criticized the European Commission's negative position on issues affecting national minorities. According to her, the advantage of the MSPI is that its drafters did not envisage a single draft legislation, but asked for amendments to legislation in favor of autochthonous minorities in many areas. “The range of possibilities is great, the door is half open, the question is whether the European Commission will open the door or try to close it softly. Our job is not to let the door close, ”said Kinga Gál.
Summarizing the learnings of the conference, Boglárka Koller, NKE's international vice-rector, pointed to the widespread solidarity the MSPI managed to create among Europe’s national minorities and language groups.
- EUROPEADA 2022: Program og spilleplan er på plads.
- "Jeg er stolt af at være en Sinto" - Film om mindretal i det tysk-danske grænseland fejrer premiere i kompetencenetværket for mindretal
- 20 herre- og 4 damehold deltager i EUROPEADA - se hvem der spiller mod hvem i grupperne!
- Krigen og en stærk kvinde fra Mariupol: FUEN's vicepræsident mødtes med formanden for Ukraines græske foreninger
- EUROPEADA og UEFA undersøger mulighederne for samarbejde
- FUEN-kongres 2022 afholdes i Berlin
- Loránt Vincze på FN's regionale forum om mindretalsspørgsmål: "Mindretal er en overset gruppe i Europa"
- Dramatisk appel om hjælp fra Ukraine og en ny samarbejdspartner
- FUEN ønsker den nye mindretalskommissær Natalie Pawlik tillykke
- FUEN-præsident i Wien: Mere empati, mere tid og mere arbejde er nødvendigt for at forbedre romaernes situation